Friday, December 15, 2017

Changing Career Direction Part 3

One of the most profound things that you can discover in life is to figure out who you are.
I have some clients who don't want to go back to what they had been doing. Who are ready to do something else.
As one put it:
~ "I don't want to be that 'guy' anymore."
This is not a trivial decision. In fact, it can be momentous, even life changing
It bears directly on one's identity. And sense of purpose and fulfillment.
Nor is this an easy decision. Nor is it without risk. Or cost.
And it brings a puzzle: if I am choosing to not go back to Who I Was (and What I Was Doing), then Who Will I Be (and What Will I Do) next?
There's a quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln that says:
"Whatever you are, be a good one."
I like that. Short and sweet.
So simple. Yet so profound.
So here's my question for you: What are you really good at? What do you really enjoy doing?
I am becoming convinced that as we mature, we become (i.e. evolve, emerge, unfold into) who we are. One of the keys to career success then is to more fully realize this and embrace our core self.
An ancient Chinese proverb captures this:
"You discover who you are by acting naturally."
To act naturally, we have to find our flow.
To find our flow, we have to shed whatever is encumbering us.
To do that, we have to risk...
Terrence Seamon helps his clients take that voyage of intentional self-discovery. Follow him on twitter @tseamon

No comments:

Post a Comment