Friday, December 15, 2017

Changing Career Direction Part 4

What does it take to change career direction?
I had coffee recently with Robert "Bob" Orlowski, a Marketing Guy that I have known for quite some time. An accomplished pro in marketing, he is an award winning expert in his field.
For many years, he told me, he saw himself in a certain way, as a marketing communicator. He was very good at his trade.
Now, as result of an intentional career journey that he has undertaken, he now sees himself in a new and different way. It's a recognition of who (and what) he truly is...and is called to be.
Now he is branding himself as an innovative marketer in the technology space:
"Does your company need creative marketing that shapes brands, positions and launches new products, generates leads, and increases sales and market share across integrated communications channels? This is precisely what I do, especially if its new technology."
I asked him to describe the process he went through to reach his decision to change career direction. Here are some of the things that he shared.
  • You have to recognize when it is time to change. I got tired of "playing the game." After years of frustration in corporate situations, I knew it was time.
  • You have to be open to learning. This requires humility. You have to stop thinking you know it all. You have to be willing to learn new ideas. Start listening.
  • You have to explore deep within yourself and discover who you are and what you really like to do.
  • You have to work on your personal branding. I began to focus on Who I am and what I do very well. (I wrote a detailed autobiography that helped me to see more clearly what I had accomplished...and what I wanted to do next.)
  • You have to seek input from others. People who know you well. And experts such as coaches who can help you get to the next level.
  • You have to research the market place. Look at your competitors. Identify your gaps.
Yes, it's a risk, he added. But it becomes a calculated risk when you put in the time to do the work.
Terrence Seamon helps his clients to do the work involved in making career progress. Follow him on twitter @tseamon

No comments:

Post a Comment